Skip to content

VAT Relief

VAT Relief

On every product MobilityPlus Wheelchairs sell, VAT Exemption is possible for qualifying customers. If you have any doubts or need clarification please feel free to call us on 01992 610 434.


If you have a long-term illness or are disabled, you don't have to pay VAT on certain goods and services that you buy in the UK. In general the equipment covered by this scheme are things that are of practical help to you because of your illness or disability.

If you are in any doubt as to whether you are eligible to receive goods or services zero-rated for VAT you should consult the HMRC National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000 or click here.


How do I remove VAT from my order?

After proceeding to the checkout page, you will be required to fill out your contact and shipping information. Underneath this section is a form where you will be asked to declare your VAT status before payment. Simply tick the "without VAT" box and select the long-term illness or disability that yourself or the person you are purchasing the goods for suffers from. If you cannot see the relevant condition from the options, simply select "other" and type it in. VAT will be automatically deducted from your order as you proceed through the checkout stage. 

Charities are also exempt from paying VAT, simply select the relevant tick-box and enter the charity number to remove VAT from the order. 

If you'd rather make a telephone order, a member of staff will assist you with completing a VAT relief form over the phone. 


What counts as a long-term illness or disabled?

For VAT purposes, you have a long-term illness or are disabled if you meet any of the following conditions:
    • you have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon your ability to carry out everyday activities.
    • you have a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes.
    • you are terminally ill.
    So, you don't qualify if you are elderly but otherwise able-bodied, or if you're only temporarily disabled or incapacitated.
    You don't have to physically buy the goods in person. If your parent, guardian, wife or husband buys the goods and services for you, then you will not be charged VAT.

    What counts as personal or domestic use?

    Personal or domestic use means that the goods or services are supplied for your own private use, rather than for business purposes.


    Our VAT Relief Form can be found here